Job Description Youth Services Assistant
- JOB TITLE: Youth Services Assistant
- DEPARTMENT: Youth Services
- CLASSIFICATION: Group 6
- STATUS: Non-exempt
Under the supervision of the Head of Youth Services, the Youth Services Assistant performs basic reference and readers’ advisory service to the public. The work involves planning and implementing library programs, and providing library instruction to patrons. This person deals responsibly with patron problems or emergencies to maintain a safe and pleasant environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understands and practices the Vision and Key Beliefs of the Des Plaines Public Library.
- Provides uniformly gracious and friendly service to all users.
- Understands and enforces the library’s policies and procedures, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
- Answers basic reference and readers’ advisory questions in person, by telephone, and via email and knows when it is appropriate to refer questions to a Librarian.
- Instructs and assists patrons in the use of electronic and print resources.
- Provides program preparation assistance.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks.
- Creates and maintains book and other displays.
- Creates and annotates bibliographies and prepares other written material for patron use.
- Creates and presents library programs and conducts library tours.
- Fills teachers’ requests for curriculum support, preschool through eighth grade.
- Keeps informed of children’s trends.
- Attends appropriate meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Oversees the work of the pages, technology pages, and volunteers.
- May select material for the collection and participate in collection evaluation and maintenance.
- May write reports, grants, and compile statistics.
- May represent the library at community organizations.
- Resolves equipment malfunctions.
- Maintains neatness of public areas including desks, counters, shelves, tables, floors, and personal space visible to the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A variety of office machines, computers, and library equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger; handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. The employee must transport/move up to 100 pounds of library materials from one library location to another. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- One year library work experience with children.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Two years college.
- Three years library experience with children.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Working ability to perform excellent customer service and to communicate general library policies and procedures to the public.
- Working ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with staff and patrons.
- Ability to establish rapport with children and caregivers.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to conduct a patron interview and to provide an accurate response in a timely manner.
- Ability to handle multiple and simultaneous tasks.
- Ability to remain calm in difficult situations.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Basic knowledge of children’s literature, popular materials, nonfiction, and reference materials in a variety of formats.
- Basic knowledge and skill in the use of online and electronic resources.
- Knowledge and skill in the use of PCs and appropriate software applications.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive or as an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential functions of this position will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible.
- Revised and Approved 11/21/06
- Revised and Approved 08/21/07
- Revised and Approved 08/18/09
See our jobs page to apply for this job.