About a month to go to the deadline for submitting 2016 income tax returns. They must be filed by midnight on Tuesday, April 18.
There are no more openings at the Des Plaines Public Library for free income tax preparation by AARP volunteers. To check on any cancellations, call the library at 847-376-2788.
(See below for other locations in the Chicago metropolitan area to contact regarding free or reduced-cost income tax preparation.) Also, see other AARP tax preparation sites.
All tax returns will be e-filed (electronically filed). If you are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present. Or, bring a signed power of attorney for finances.
Please bring the following information to your appointment:
- Photo ID and Social Security card, Medicare card, or SSA-1099
- Copies of all W-2, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, and 1099-B forms received for year 2016
- Copy of your 2015 federal and state income tax returns filed in 2016
- Receipts and information for all planned itemized deductions. For example, medical and dental expenses, taxes and interest paid, gifts to charities and other miscellaneous deductions. Total your receipts before you come to your appointment at the library.
- Real estate tax bills for property taxes paid in 2016
- Closing statements for real estate sold in 2016. Also, the original cost of property and the cost of any improvements.
- Social Security SSA-1099 for 2016
- Railroad retirement forms for 2016, RRB-1099 and RRB-1099R
- Any Affordable Care Act (ACA) forms, such as the 1095
- Check from your bank for possible direct deposit or direct debit information
- If using Power of Attorney, it must be a copy of the official form.
other organizations offering free or reduced-fee preparation of income tax returns include:
The Center of Concern - Park Ridge, IL
A few days are left between March 15 and April (before the filing deadline) to have your Income taxes prepared at the Center of Concern. A fee is charged on a sliding scale, based on income. The annual income limit is $60,000, including social security benefits. To make an appointment, call: 847-242-8009.
Willow Creek Care Center at Willow Creek Community Church - South Barrington, IL
If your income is at or below $53,930, you can have your 2016 income taxes done for free and filed electronically at the Willow Creek Care Center. This service is offered through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, February 3-April 10. No appointment is needed. Returns are prepared on a first come, first served basis. Phone: 224-512-2600
Income tax preparation is available:
Monday: 6-9 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.-12noon and 1-5 p.m.
Sunday: 1-5 p.m.
Please come 15 minutes before the start of the session.
LOW INCOME TAXPAYER CLINICS
myfreetaxes.com: 2017 appointments are available to prepare and file income tax returns online with help from a certified tax coach. If your household income (individual or a couple) was $64,000 or less in 2016, filing is free.
AARP Site locator: 888-227-7669
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago: 312-915-7176
Center for Economic Progress Tax Clinic, Chicago: 312-252-0280
Administer Justice, Elgin, IL: 847-844-1100
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers the following toll-free number to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-829-1040 (Monday-Friday) and the following toll-free number to businesses: 1-800-829-4933 (Monday-Friday).
The State of Illinois offers the following numbers to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-732-8866 (toll-free) or 217-782-3336 (Monday-Friday).
Closest government offices
Illinois Department of Revenue
Maine North Regional Building
9511 Harrison Ave.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
2016 state income tax forms now are available at the Illinois Department of Revenue website. You can pick up Illinois forms (for individuals and businesses) free of charge at the office on Harrison.
The IRS has 13 operating Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in Illinois. The closest one to Des Plaines is at 5100 River Road in Schiller Park.
In-person meetings now are by appointment only! Call: 844-545-5640
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
This IRS location is about five miles south of downtown Des Plaines, in a multi-level office building on the west side of River Road, a major street. (Once you get to Rosemont, you are very close.) There is free parking in a lot immediately west of the building, or in a nearby garage just west of that. View the services offered at this IRS office.
The following forms should be available at the Schiller Park office:
- 1040 and instructions
- Schedule A
- Schedule B
- Schedule C and instructions
- Schedule C-EZ
- Schedule D and instructions
- Schedule EIC
- Schedule SE and instructions
- 1040X and instructions
- 8962 and instructions
- 8965 and instructions
To order federal forms and publications, go to the IRS website.