There are no more available appointments at the Des Plaines Public Library for free income tax preparation by AARP volunteers. You can check for cancellations by calling the library at 847-376-2788.
You can go to https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2018/aarp-tax-help-fd.html to find other help in filing your 2018 returns.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) started accepting income tax returns electronically on January 28. The deadline for filing 2018 returns in most states is Tuesday, April 15, according to the IRS.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers the following toll-free number to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-829-1040 (Monday-Friday) and its business counterpart: 1-800-829-4933 (Monday-Friday).
The State of Illinois offers the following numbers to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-732-8866 (toll-free) or 217-782-3336 (Monday-Friday).
IN- PERSON ASSISTANCE
Closest government offices
Illinois Department of Revenue
Maine North Regional Building
9511 Harrison Ave.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
For 2018 state income tax forms, check the Illinois Department of Revenue website.
The IRS office closest to Des Plaines is at 5100 River Road in Schiller Park.
In-person meetings are by appointment only! Call: 844-545-5640
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
This IRS location is about five miles south of downtown Des Plaines, in a multi-level office building on the west side of River Road, a major street. (Once you get to Rosemont, you are very close.) There is free parking in a lot immediately west of the building, or in a nearby garage just west of that. The following services are offered at this particular IRS location:
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Assistance with questions about tax law changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is available year-round.
- Basic tax law assistance January 2-April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Check, money order, or cash payment acceptance (Exact Change is Required)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7
- Payment arrangements
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (All forms, instructions & publications are readily available online (see link below) on irs.gov. Availability is very limited in IRS offices.)
To order federal forms and publications for delivery by U.S. mail, go to the IRS website.