Don't delay! To make an appointment to have your 2017 income taxes prepared for free by American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) volunteers, call the Des Plaines Public Library--847-376-2788. Preparation is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, until April 10.
AARP volunteers also will prepare tax returns free of charge at the Frisbie Senior Center (at Mt. Prospect Road and Northwest Highway (U.S.14)) in Des Plaines. Appointments are mostly on Mondays, until April 9. Call 847-768-5944.
For a listing of other nearby locations where AARP volunteers are doing tax returns, see the Tax-Aide Site Locator.
(Other) organizations offering free or reduced-fee preparation of income tax returns include:
Willow Creek Care Center
67 E. Algonquin Rd.
South Barrington, IL 60010
Free preparation of tax returns is offered on a first-come, first-served basis to taxpayers whose annual income is at or below $55,000. Tax preparation is scheduled through Monday, April 9. Hours of operation are:
- Sundays 1-5 p.m.
- Mondays 6-9 p.m.
- Fridays 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Saturdays 9 a.m.-12noon and 1-5 p.m
Numbers will be given out one hour before the start time of each session. If the session becomes full, it may close early.
Center for Economic Progress
Free tax preparation assistance is available through the Center for Economic Progress to families with annual incomes of less than $55,000 and individuals with annual incomes of less than $30,000.
Chicago area locations include:
Evanston Public Library
1703 Orrington Ave
1st Floor Resource Room
Evanston, IL 60201-3505
Site is open:
Now through April 17, 2018
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. (Tax site closes when capacity is reached.)
Weekend Hours: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Tax site closes when capacity is reached.)
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers the following toll-free number to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-829-1040 (Monday-Friday) and its business counterpart: 1-800-829-4933 (Monday-Friday).
The State of Illinois offers the following numbers to individuals with income tax-related questions: 1-800-732-8866 (toll-free) or 217-782-3336 (Monday-Friday).
IN- PERSON ASSISTANCE
Closest government offices
Illinois Department of Revenue
Maine North Regional Building
9511 Harrison Ave.
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
For 2017 state income tax forms, check the Illinois Department of Revenue website.
The IRS office closest to Des Plaines is at 5100 River Road in Schiller Park.
In-person meetings are by appointment only! Call: 844-545-5640
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
This IRS location is about five miles south of downtown Des Plaines, in a multi-level office building on the west side of River Road, a major street. (Once you get to Rosemont, you are very close.) There is free parking in a lot immediately west of the building, or in a nearby garage just west of that. The following services are offered at this particular IRS location:
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 2-April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Check, money order, or cash payment acceptance (Exact Change is Required)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability) - 1040 form and its instructions, plus Schedules A, B, C, D, EIC and SE, and the 1040-ES, 1040X, 4868, 8962 and 8965 forms.
To order federal forms and publications for delivery by U.S. mail, go to the IRS website.