We have a variety of services to enhance your curriculum. Here are just a few.
If you teach at a preschool, elementary, or middle school in Des Plaines, we can provide you with a selection of materials to use in your classroom or help your students with their research needs. If you would rather select your own materials, or if you teach at a school that is not located in Des Plaines, we'll be happy to assist you in person. Complete the form now
School library cards
All schools, preschools, and day care centers located within incorporated Des Plaines (excluding home-based centers) are eligible for a library card. To receive a library card, request an application from the Registration Desk at (847) 376-2787 or download the application.
Watch for information on our annual Preschool Fair held at the library each year in January. The Preschool Fair provides area parents with the opportunity to learn about the different preschool programs available in our community. Area preschools and day care centers can reserve a table display information and materials about their facility. For more information, please contact Courtney Schade, Preschool Liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 376-2797.
Scheduling visits to the library
We love seeing your students in the library! Unless you have a special request, most library visits consist of an age-appropriate storytime, a brief tour of the Youth Services Department, and time for browsing. Elementary students may also enjoy a pictoral scavenger hunt. You may also request research orientation for older students instead of storytime. Please schedule visits at least two weeks in advance. Visits are based upon staff availability for a given day, so alternative dates are always helpful.
- To schedule a library visit for preschoolers, contact Courtney Schade, Preschool Liaison, by email or by phone (847) 376-2797.
- To schedule a library visit for elementary or middle school students, contact me by email or call (847) 376-2795.
- To schedule a library visit for a community group, contact the Youth Services Desk by phone at (847) 376-2893.
Scheduling visits to your school
Visits to preschools
To schedule a school visit for your daycare center or preschool, please contact Courtney Schade, Preschool Liaison Librarian, by email or by phone at 847-376-2797.
Visits to elementary and middle schools
We love the opportunity to visit our schools in person and we have a variety of programs we can present to your students. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Booktalks on new titles, a specific genre, or the yearly children's choice award titles (see our reading awards page for details)
- Fractured Fairy Tales: Listen to the original version of a classic fairy tale and compare it with various cultural or fractured versions of the same story.
- Community Workers: Learn how libraries work and what jobs there are in the library.
- Research Orientation: Introduce your students to the many online database resources the library has to offer and how they can help with a specific research project. This can also be structured as a teacher inservice.
If any of these sound interesting, contact me by email or call (847) 376-2795. Please schedule visits three weeks in advance, if possible.
High school teachers
Send your assignment alerts or schedule a visit by getting in touch with Joanie Sebastian, Teen Services Librarian, by email.