Our mission is to be a catalyst, advocate and place to advance the vision and ideals of our community.
We've been working hard for over 100 years to be an essential resource for Des Plaines. Whether it's through the items we buy for the collections, the programs we run for enrichment or fun, or the partnerships we foster within the community, we want to be a valuable part of your daily life.
Our library values guide how we serve you. We hope you see these values reflected in everything we do.
- Generosity: We value and defend generous, unimpeded access to abundant resources for everyone.
- Good design / beauty: We value and practice good design and infuse a balanced blend of beauty and efficient function into all aspects of the library experience.
- Friendliness: We value kindness to oneself, to each other and to our community, and practice it as a tangible sign of mutual respect.
- Efficiency: We pursue efficiency, in order to meet and exceed the needs, desires and expectations of both library users and staff.
- That a free public library is essential to the public good.
- That all library users are entitled to the highest level of service.
- That all library users have the right to privacy, confidentiality, and intellectual freedom.
Embodying our mission and values
Our staff, Board of Trustees, and building all embody our mission, beliefs, and values. We strive to make our day-to-day operations as transparent as possible by posting freely available meeting minutes (and videos) as well as a variety of data to download and review.
If you do not find something on our site pertaining to our operations or goverance, you can submit a FOIA request.
Be sure to check out our job listings and see what opportunities are available for you to join our team.
Download our current strategic plan.