Welcome back everyone!
All floors of the library are open for browsing and checkout, reference help, computer reservation, self-service holds pickup, copying, account assistance, and more. Masks and social distancing are required and some services are limited.
To keep our community safe, we are following Phase Four guidelines by limiting occupancy and observing strict social distancing.
10 to 7 Monday through Friday
10 to 4 Saturday
1 to 4 Sunday
ENTERING THE BUILDING
- You (and your children over two) MUST wear a face mask everywhere in the library, and maintain social distancing - please stay six feet from other people.
- Enter the building from the West Community Hallway (near the garage) and Exit from the North double sliding doors (on the plaza).
- Please bring your library card - you can also put the card number on your phone.
- Hand sanitizer is widely available and we encourage you to use it when you enter and when you leave.
- If you don't feel well, please stay home!
USING THE LIBRARY SAFELY
- Please keep your visit short. Occupancy of the building is limited, so please come in, choose whatever you want from the collections, and take them home to enjoy!
- Computers are available by appointment only. Please call 847-376-2841 to schedule a time. You must have a Des Plaines Library card to book a computer at this time.
- Reference and Reader's Advisory service for all ages is available at the Information Desks by phone or in-person.
- Newspaper and magazine area seating, the Terrace, study carrels, study rooms, meeting rooms, tables, and all other seating is not available.
- Play areas are closed, including the Early Literacy area and the PoetTree corner.
- 2nd floor children's computers and iPads are unavailable at this time.
HELP KEEP EVERYONE HEALTHY
- Wash your hands regularly! Bathrooms are available on the first, second, and fourth floors.
- Return your items in the garage book drops. They are open 24/7.
- Be aware and maintain social distancing of 6 feet everywhere in the building, but especially when browsing popular collections such as New Books and New Movies.
- Keep your children with you at all times. If you need help locating materials, just ask us!
WHAT WE ARE DOING TO KEEP YOU SAFE
- We are regularly and frequently cleaning repeatedly touched surfaces, including the self-checks, door handles, elevator buttons, stair rails, and service desks.
- We are quarantining all returns for three days.
- We have supplied hand sanitizer and wipes throughout the building.
- We are screening staff daily for COVID-19 symptoms. Additionally, we are alternating staff in service teams wherever possible to avoid long periods of contact.
Official COVID-19 Safety procedure
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Library will enforce the following rules of conduct until the Governor of the State of Illinois declares the threat of the pandemic to be over:
- All persons in the Library must wear a face mask. If a patron is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, the Library will endeavor to deliver materials to that patron outside the building if possible.
- All persons in the Library shall practice social distancing of 6 feet from other people.
- All persons in the Library shall practice good hygiene, such as hand washing or hand sanitizing.
- All persons in the Library shall refrain from using restricted areas as indicated.
- No person shall enter the Library if they are sick. If a person is demonstrating recognized signs of illness, such as sustained sneezing or coughing, they will be asked by Library personnel to leave the building and are obliged to do so.
- Any other activity that is deemed contrary to public health as promulgated by the Centers for Disease Control, the State of Illinois, Cook County or the City of Des Plaines with regard to the pandemic is prohibited.
SERVICE INFORMATION FAQ
You can send print jobs from your home or device to the library! Access the service at dppl.org/visit/printing-scanning-faxing.Once you have sent your document to be printed, call the 4th floor Reference Desk at 847-376-2841 to tell them you have sent a print job. They will print it out and you can pick up at the 4th floor desk.
Public Access Computers
Des Plaines residents with a DPPL card may schedule appointments to use a computer on the fourth floor for 75 minutes per day. Call 847-376-2841 to schedule your time. Use of the computers is self-service. DPPL staff are not able to provide hands-on assistance or instruction at this time.
Study Rooms and other Study Spaces
Study rooms, the teen Commons and general study tables and carrels are not available at this time.
The garage book drops are open 24/7. There is also a book return bin located in the lobby. The automated book returns have not yet been turned on.
Library fines will start accruing again on September 1st.
Self-service holds pickup has resumed in the DPPL lobby. You can walk in and pick up your own holds once more.
Now that other libraries in our consortium are open again, we can fill ILL requests. Items coming from school libraries may still be delayed.
Live Online Classes and Programs
All of your favorite DPPL programs and events for adults, teens and kids are now available in live and pre-recorded online formats. Explore them all at dppl.org/calendar.
Reference and Reader's Advisory service for all ages is available at the Information Desks by phone or in person.
Ebooks, eaudiobooks and other ematerials
Check out all of our e-resources at dppl.org/ebooks-more. You can use your smartphone, tablet, PC, Kindle, or even a smart TV (for movies and TV shows).
Our usual volunteer opportunities are currently unavailable. When they do reopen, they will be listed on the DPPL website at dppl.org/support-the-library/volunteer.
Friends of the Library Book Sale & Donations
The Friends sale shelf on the first floor is fully stocked and open for browsing and buying! They are not accepting donations at this time.
Tax Forms and AARP Tax Assistance
You can find forms at dppl.org/resources/tax-forms and print from home. Or you can call the Reference Desk at 847-376-2841 and they will tell you how we can arrange for you to pick up tax forms at the library. At this time, AARP is only doing phone assistance for seniors who can file online.
Library Cards and Accounts Assistance
Our Account Assistants in the library lobby are ready to help. You can also apply for a new or replacement library card on line at dppl.org/patron-services/get-a-library-card, or email email@example.com with your card number if you need to renew a card or have a fine waived.
Center of Concern Senior Lunch Program
This program is no longer held at the library. The Center of Concern is operating meal pickups for adults over the age of 60 every Wednesday out of the Center of Concern Office -1665 Elk Blvd in Des Plaines. Call Amanda at 847-823-0453 x 1013 by 10 AM the day before (Tuesday), to make a pickup appointment.